Saturday, December 1, 2007

Egg Tarts - My 1st attempt!

Having sudden cravings on egg tarts and I can't seem to resist the temptation of making my own beloved tarts instead of just getting from bengawan solo the next morning.. but yes.. its already 11:45PM...

Manage to hunt the recipe down from Aunt Yochana's blog!

I do not have any rum compound, so i gave it a miss this round.. Same goes for icing sugar, but I've replaced it with raw sugar. . Hmmm I reduced the sugar for custard from 160gms to 120gm too.

Have left the dough to rest at room temperature and after I am done with the egg custard, I work on the dough by using a cutter and rolling pin. Moulding them into 8 tart moulds wasn't enough.. I decided to use my jelly mould with star print for the tarts, but they will be in mini sizes. Geeez - But there are still leftovers!! Do not want to waste the remaining dough and henceforth i used 3 mini bowls instead. Whahaha..

Here's the pic before putting into the oven for pre-baking process (pls pardon my congested tray);

The tarts were in the oven for 6mins with 175C of heat at the last bottom tray. I remove the tray when the tart turned white and looks half cooked.


Poured the egg custard - without knowing how much is enough, I just put nicely to the level I seen in stores. Hahaa.. but to my surprise, I still have about 150ml of custard left... but sad to say, I have no more dough already.. Perhaps the tart moulds i used differ in sizes, hence they can't meet up to the exact quantity of custard needed. Not sure what I could do with it though and it landed in the bin..

Fumes came out from my oven after 15mins. I was so worried - tarts were abit burnt and custard seems like they are oozing out any moment. Pheww.. I open glass door of the oven and let them cool down.

Another 10 mins later, they look slightly better and here's the pictures.


JJ, who will always try out my first attempts... is waiting to try them out already.. as they still look edible but not sure how it taste like! Hahaha.. I pop the mini tart into his mouth and to my delight, he said 'Passed'.. Hohoho.. I am so happy and contented with my 1st attempt's results. I will make with reduced sugar, perhaps to 100gm next time - as JJ commented it's still abit too sweet. =D


Hoooooray!! Mission accomplished with contentment!! It's not really looking great but i know it will be even better the next round! =D

Cheerios!
==========================================================
Ingredients:
Pate Sucree:

125 gm. Butter - chilled
60 gm. icing sugar - used raw sugar

1/2 egg white

1 egg yolk
200 gm. plain flour
1/2 tsp. vanilla essence
Egg Custard:
280 gm. fresh milk - used HL milk
160 gm. sugar - used 120gm
3 nos. eggs

1 tsp. rum
- did not use any as i did not buy...will try next round =)
1/2 tsp. vanilla essence

Method:
(1) For pate sucree: beat butter and icing sugar till well mixed.
- I've used mixer for this step
(2) Add in white and yolk and mix.

(3) Add in vanilla essence and then the flour and mix into a dough. Rest for 10 mins. Press dough into small tart moulds.
(4) Bake the tart shell till half-cooked.
(5) For egg custard, heat sugar and milk together. Once sugar dissolves, off heat.
(6) Whisk eggs and pour into the milk mixture. Do not whisk till frothy.
(7) Add in rum and vanilla essence.
(8) Sift the egg custard and pour into tart moulds and bake at 175C till egg custard sets.

==========================================================

0 Thoughts of the day: