Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Japanese Cheese Cake

Just had my wisdom teeth surgery and currently recuperating at home. Zhuzhu is coming later to pass me my exam notes and i decided to express my appreciation by making her favorite cheesecake =)

Adopted this recipe from JY's blog;
=====================================================
Found this recipe from Seadragon's blog.

Makes one 20cm cheesecake.


[Ingredients]
250g cream cheese
200ml thickened cream (35% milkfat)
40g (1/3 cup) cornflour
4 egg yolks
75g (1/3 cup) caster sugar (A)
finely grated zest from 1 lemon
40ml (2 tablespoons) lemon juice
4 egg whites
75g (1/3 cup) caster sugar (B)

[Preparation]
1. Preheat oven to 150°C. Grease a 20cm round cake tin and line bottom with baking paper.
2. Dissolve cream cheese with thickened cream in a bowl placed over simmering water (or in a double-boiler). Remove from heat. Whisk until smooth (forget this step!). Cool slightly.
3. Beat egg yolks with caster sugar (A), lemon zest and juice. Gradually whisk the warm cheese mixture into the yolk mixture. Fold in cornflour.
4. Beat egg whites until foamy with uniform tiny bubbles. Gradually beat in caster sugar (B), spoonful by spoonful, until firm but not to stiff peaks stage.
5. Fold 1/3 of the meringue into the cheese mixture. Repeat two more times with the rest of the meringue.
6. Pour batter into the prepared tin. Place the cake tin in a deep roasting tray and fill the tray with hot water to halfway up the sides of the cake tin and bake at 150°C for one hour


7.
Let cool completely before turning out. If the cake is hard to turn out, assist it by placing the tin over warm water briefly. Glaze the top of the cheesecake before serving.

=====================================================

At about 1 hour's time, my cake still look like it's not cooked. I decided to leave it for 10mins more and switched off the heat, and then leave it inside for another 20mins.

Here's the outcome;

Before toppling over
After toppling the cake over

I was very upset cos my cake looks more like a mango pudding. Sob Sobz* I msn-ed my beloved colleague and consult her views, but it also puzzled her why my cake looks wet wet..She has mentioned that perhaps its becos i have greased the tray and also placed the baking sheet paper on top. Perhaps this has caused my cake being unable to evaporate it's wetness in the oven? she felt that i have overheated my top.. *Scratch my head* I have placed in the mid rack and used the heat temp of 150degrees - Hmmm Please don't tell me it's my eggs again. I have forgotten the size of my eggs and used exactly 4 small eggs.

Aniwae, i removed the baking sheet and placed my cake back to the aluminum tray again and re-enter the oven for 15mins, using 170degrees heat.

After i taken it out, i toppled it over again to check out the wetness. Its much more solidified now and i decided to make do with it and leave it to cool. Sobz..

Don't dare to slice my cake yet.. as i did not want to shorten its' lifespan of being still looking good. Haha, but my colleague is excited to see how does it look on the inner... hence i used a fan to cool it down and finally... lay my knife on my cake. Hee... Guess wat??

Here's the inner look;

* Cake is placed on a glass plate.. hehe.. but looks like it's been placed directly on my cloth? =P

It did not turned out as bad as i tot it would. I quickly uploaded the pics and showed my colleague! Telling her how relieved i am as it's still edible! it tastes good and only thing is that the top layer is overheated, hmm...it's due to my lemon zest that i have overlooked and grated the skin of the lemon too deep, and caused the top layer of my cake to taste a little bitter.

I quickly placed the cake into the fridge as my zhuzhu is arriving soon. Hehee..Hopefully it will take away the wetness & taste better.

Hmmmm.. I am glad that she likes the cake. To my surprise, she love the bitter part on top of my cake.. *Phew*... It's with much comfort =D

JJ likes my cake too!!! Hooooray.. I will definately try again and believe my 2nd attempt will be better, will not use the baking sheet, use larger eggs and do not grate my lemons too deep.. and maybe use 50g sugar instead of 75g as i find the cake abit sweet. I have also learnt that life is indeed with much imperfections!!!

0 Thoughts of the day: